Gardens in Warwickshire
Search gardens in Warwickshire
National Trust's Upton House and Gardens
In 1927 Lord and Lady Bearsted viewed Upton House with ‘the eye of imagination’ and soon set about creating their made-to-measure country home. Every ideal home needs a spectacular garden, and Lady Bearsted certainly created one. Her passion for plants bloomed, with early spring bulbs, lavish herbaceous planting and thriving kitchen garden, all reflecting in the Mirror Pool.
The house was built by Sir Thomas Andrews around 1600. In 1919 the house and gardens required huge restoration and extensive work was carried out. During the restoration they planted many specimen trees and set about creating the interesting and beautiful gardens that can be seen today. The Long Walk has six well-stocked herbaceous borders, which form the centrepiece of the main garden. To the right of the drive, which is lined with hornbeams, sits a little yew-hedge-bordered Pond Garden. To the west of the house are steps leading into the large formal Rose Garden, which is planted with old and modern shrub roses. The so-called Cupid Garden features an enchanting mixture of roses, lavender and scented mock oranges.